Thursday, June 28, 2012

Thursday Thoughts : 310 Days


“It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages.” 




I've had quite a few people come up to me since getting engaged and advising me that I'm way to young to marry... ya know, I might be young, however I don't think marriage is about age... sure 8yr olds shouldn't be running off to get married, but once you hit legal age, marriage shouldn't be this unheard of thing, that is almost a cultural taboo. 

Society has this mindset where they want to keep people from responsibility as long as possible....  Society has this mindset if you aren't making 60 grand a year marriage is impossible... Society has this mindset that you'll be more ready at 30 than 18.... no matter what, no one is fully prepared for marriage, regardless of the age. Marriage is full of surprises. I know couples who got married after years of living together, and there was still so much to learn.

Then there's maintaining purity, I know not everyone is adamant about this in their relationship, but if you know you're getting married, why rock the boat, and draw out the temptation. The longer you date the easier it is to fall into sexual sin, and lust. Now don't get me wrong, this shouldn't be the main reason for marriage, but Paul even says if you are unable to control yourself, it's better to marry. 

Now some people aren't ready to get married, some people who are both in college might have a bit of trouble, and waiting till after college is perfect;y acceptable. Some people aren't in a place emotionally, or spiritually where marriage is realistic, however you should work to get to the place where you are able to.

Last but not least, while James and I began contemplating marriage we decided to do a little research and studying.... and we came across a book, 'Young and in Love,' I definitely suggest you pick it up for a few dollars on amazon if you have any intentions of marrying young or becoming engaged. 



No comments:

Post a Comment